My 4th Garden, the NYC Balcony Garden

This is my 4th garden set up in NYC and by far the smallest. I've downsized 95% of my plants for the move from a garden apartment to a 4th floor walk up with a small fire escape (with no actual escape ladder). It's got a little bit of Rear Window vibes. Below us is an overgrown garden and it reminds me of our old garden. Now the tables have turned and I'm watching someone else manage their overgrown garden. The voyeur in me approves. 

It's late summer now and it's looking very lush outside my window. I like living on the 4th floor amongst the trees. Sometimes I see mourning doves and sparrows. So the bird count begins!  In my last garden apartment I counted 25 different bird species. Looking forward to seeing who will visit us this year. 

Some snaps from our late summer garden...

Tobacco plant flowers. Grown from seed as a test to see how it'll survive in the urban environment in a pot. It's now over 5 feet tall toppling over my 5'1 stature. The blooms are unexpectedly very pretty. It began blooming last week.

Then it really took off the second week! Look at all those blooms! 

I've been going to my community garden to do yoga for the past 4 weeks. I love the solitude amongst the plants, birds and flying insects (most of them anyway). There are several bird baths around the garden. They put rocks in them. I don't know why but the birds like it just the same and hop on top of it. So I figured I too shall have a bird bath with rocks on it for my feathery friends on my 4th floor balcony garden. I hope they can find it... 

Itty bitty tomatoes. So far our tomato plant has produced 1 fruit. It's currently in a cloth grow bag which I really do like being that it's lightweight and portable. But we've had better tomato years.... 

We got this lavender plant as a gift last year and it's getting quite bushy. I love running my hands through it for the fragrance. 




The view out of my window. It's an ever-changing landscape. 

Comments

Popular Posts